Sunday, March 19, 2023

Also The Darkness

You told me today
that your favorite kind of clouds
are the ones that are big and fluffy
and mostly white
but with a darker grey around the edge.
I think I know why.
For I am drawn to your light,
to your eyes aglow,
and your luminous smile,
to the shower of sparks every time you laugh,
the radiance of your deep brown hair,
and the bonfire in my soul when you touch me.
But also, I am drawn to the darkness
which lurks beneath the surface,
and which you try to hide behind the ocean of your eyes,
but which I see as clearly as if
it was written in black headlines on a white page.
As in nature, so in each heart,
there can be no light without darkness.
And so, I am the moth drawn to the flame
of the joy you can’t help but radiate,
just as I am the comforting arms
compelled to embrace the pain you hide
from everyone but me.

1 comment:

  1. Actually a well worn idea but expressed with far more skill than most

    ReplyDelete